INCUBATE 2012 applications have now closed. Thank you to all who have applied.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest information & startup jobs.
What We Are Looking For
Good ideas. Creative solutions. Talented and motivated Sydney University students, researchers and alumni.
INCUBATE will fund eight high-potential startup teams. This means your business idea for a product or service will help solve a problem, be a scalable solution and will have a big impact on your target market. A prototype of the product or a team able to build a prototype and get your first customers within the 3-month incubation period, in time for our Demo Day in 2013, is preferred.
Check out our highlighted student startups or mentors companies for an example of just some of the ideas we would potentially fund – this is by no means a complete list. The crazier your idea, the better.
We are looking for both very early stage projects that could potentially be a great business as well as already built prototypes or later stage startups. Experience in starting your business is not necessary.
Ideally you can define:
- The problem you are trying to solve
- The technology or process you will use to solve this
- Your potential customers
- The competition and market size
- How your team will build your prototype in 3 months of the program, ready for Demonstration Day
Things To Keep In Mind
INCUBATE is the first of its kind startup program on campus at the University of Sydney, Australia. The program will be shaped by our first applicants so if you are unsure about your business idea, get in touch.
- Please submit your application by week 11, Friday 19 October 11:59pm, Sydney time.
- Attend any of our workshops or events, to talk with us in person or contact us
- Between the 26 – 29 November will we invite what we believe to be the most promising applicants, for an interview on campus
- We will announce successful applicants on Friday, 30 November at the latest
- All funded groups are expected to work on their projects over the summer break at our co-working space from the 4th December 2012 to end of February 2013
- There is a two week Christmas holiday period included in the schedule (should the groups wish to take it!).
- In O-Week, at the end of the incubation period, we will organise a Demo Day for all groups to present to our mentors, investors, students and select media
- Every week all groups and interested students will be invited to our weekly dinners with an informal presentation by local or visiting entrepreneurs
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
To apply for the INCUBATE program, at least one team-member must:
- Be currently enrolled at Sydney University or
- Be a current researcher at Sydney University or
- Be a recent alumnus of Sydney University (class of 2009 and after only)
What Funded Applicants Receive
We will fund four high-potential startup projects with a $5,000 grant each.
Funded groups will receive:
- $5,000 business grant (we don’t take a share in your business)
- Working space on campus over the 11 weeks
- Internet, printing, office resources and use of University of Sydney Union meeting rooms
- Mentoring, advice and guidance from some of Australia’s most experienced mentors
Who Is Judging The Applications
All applications will be judged by our mentor panel of experienced business leaders and entrepreneurs, all of whom have either started their own business or have funded a successful startup business. Check our mentor list for more information.
The initial screening process will be ongoing and applicants will be notified if they do not receive an interview. INCUBATE is the first of its kind startup program on campus at the University of Sydney, Australia. The program will be shaped by our first applicants so if you are unsure about your business idea, get in touch.
If anything in your application is unclear or we want further clarification we will endeavour to contact you, so please provide a reachable email address.
Mentors will be judging the response for each question in the application form, so please be clear and concise. Where ever possible, provide examples to illustrate your point or how you can to believe thats the case.
There will be stages in the judging process
- Screening: The initial screen of all applicants will happen online between mentors and the Program Director, based of your responses to the questions in the online application form
- Interview: Finalists will be invited to a face-to-face interview, lasting no more than 10 minutes to discuss their startups and team
Final Application Instructions
- Use the external application form, linked below, to apply
- We will use the primary email address you provide to to follow up
- We review applications on a rolling basis, the earlier you apply the more time you give us to followup on anything about your startup team and idea
- Please contact James via our email form, or Twitter or Facebook if you require an early indication of being a finalist. We will do our best to accommodate an expedited judging process
- Applications are due by week 11, Friday 19 October 11:59pm, Sydney time
- More questions? Get in touch
INCUBATE 2012 applications have now closed.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest information & call outs.