About the Program
Provided by the University of Sydney Union, Australia’s oldest and largest student union, INCUBATE aims to foster a proactive community of entrepreneurs, provide practical education and advice, and help launch successful business ventures on campus.
INCUBATE aims to encourage entrepreneurship, promote calculated risk-taking and support the creation of startup ventures. The program is open to students, researchers and recent alumni of Sydney University who want to translate their solutions into real world businesses.
- Fund startup groups and guide their growth via a network of mentors
- Support the growing number of students and alumni starting their own businesses by providing free public workshops
- Foster innovation amongst students, researchers and alumni of Sydney University
Applications for funding close on 19 October and final startup teams announced by 30 November. Apply for funding.
What Funded Applicants Receive
- $5,000 grant (we don’t take a share in your business)
- Office space on campus over the summer break
- Internet, printing, office resources and use of University of Sydney Union meeting rooms
- Mentoring from some of Australia’s most experienced business minds and alumni
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
To apply for the INCUBATE program, at least one team-member must:
- Hold a current University of Sydney Union Access card
- Be currently enrolled at Sydney University or
- Be a current researcher at Sydney University or
- Be a recent alumnus of Sydney University (class of 2009 and after only)
Successful startup teams are expected to:
- Devote a significant amount of time (over 20 hours per week) for the duration of the summer break to working on their startups
- Utilise the mentoring available through the program and attend workshops and events
- Work at our dedicated working space on campus
Workshops and Events
Fostering entrepreneurship on campus over semester and summer break.
INCUBATE aims to foster a wide community of entrepreneurial students through free workshops and events, which are available to the general public.
To celebrate the launch of INCUBATE, the University of Sydney Union is hosting a panel of distinguished entrepreneurs from Sydney on Thursday 20 September.
A series of four workshops will be hosted over Semester 2 covering topics about the new age of starting your own business, securing funding and networking with alumni who have experience in growing their own startups.
Building Our Network
INCUBATE relies on the vast network of Sydney University alumni and experienced industry mentors who have volunteered their time to be involved in the program. Our current mentors have backgrounds ranging from consumer web-based services, technology manufacturing, legal, management and consulting. We welcome new mentors from all backgrounds.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor please get in touch.
About the University of Sydney Union